Back to Community
“Feast” explores the Yoruba cosmology to showcase the transformations and transitions brought about by slavery using three major Yoruba deities: Yemoja, the mother goddess; Oshun, goddess of love; Oya, the spirit of change; and Esu, the divine messenger. It reenacts their reincarnations in different black women and men – to Brazil, Cuba, the United States, and the United Kingdom, during 300 years, from the times of slavery to the present.
These deities were formerly human beings who were deified after their death or earthly sojourns. They have supernatural and superhuman qualities. They have priests and devotees who revered them and can relate with them. They are messengers and intermediaries and have channels through which sacrifices, prayers and offerings are presented to Eledumare. The Yoruba deities include Oya, Osun, Yemoja, Sango, Ogun, Orunmila, Onatala and many others. “Feast” starts at a crossroads in Nigeria where, on their way to a feast, three sisters; Osun, Oya, and Yemoja meet, who warns them that they will be taken away as slaves and indicates that he too is going on the journey. The plays take Yemonja to Brazil, at the time of the abolition of slavery, and in present-day Cuba where she has become, as she calls herself, “a Communist whore”. Oya and Osun take part in the 1960s civil rights sit-ins in the US and are later at the center of discussions on race and identity issues during the time of President Barack Obama and in contemporary London.
My artwork takes a critical view of social, political and cultural issues. Often referencing on history, my work explores the varying relationships between my ancestors and me. The subject matter of each body of work allows my audience to engage with their curiosity and question the world around them. I communicate through garments to creating an environment for my audience to open their minds and let loose. The work thus far has used the experiences and voices of myself and others to create a complex story that decrypts my ancestors past but also shows how their past intertwines with this new reality.

👉🏽 Follow Lashun Costor

Author

Write A Comment